Following the government's decision to return to COVID-19 Alert Level 1 nationwide outside of Auckland, we are excited to announce the TranzAlpine will be returning to the rails this weekend.
However, we ask that you check-in using the NZ COVID Tracer App, sanitise your hands regularly, face masks are recommended, sneeze into the pit of your elbow and do not travel if you are experiencing any symptoms associated with COVID-19 or are awaiting COVID-19 test results.
Lastly, we would like to say a big thank-you for the kindness and understanding shown by passengers who were disrupted by the recent travel restrictions. We look forward to seeing you aboard soon!
The government has announced that the current COVID-19 Alert Level 2 will continue in New Zealand until Monday 21st September 2020, to be confirmed on the day.
To our disappointment, and no doubt yours, this means our TranzAlpine service suspension will also continue for the weekend of 18-21 September.
If you are booked to travel this weekend, then please check your email and respond. We are offering you a free transfer to any other available service within next twelve months at no extra cost, or you can be refunded in full if you prefer.
We can't wait to get back on track in the very near future, and we hope you can join us then.
Our world-famous TranzAlpine will continue its journeys through the Southern Alps on the existing extended weekend timetable once the country returns to Alert Level 1.
We are also pleased to announce that our Northern Explorer and Coastal Pacific trains will be returning to the tracks from late spring.
Bookings for all services will open in mid-September.
The Northern Explorer service will re-commence its normal weekly timetable on Wednesday September 30, leaving Wellington on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays, and leaving Auckland on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
Our Coastal Pacific train returns from Tuesday October 13, running between Christchurch and Picton and returning the same day, on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.
We understand that COVID-19 continues to add uncertainty in planning, and indeed all of our re-start dates rely on the country returning to Alert Level 1. You can be assured that, should there be further cancellations directly as a result of Covid restrictions, we will offer affected customers a transfer to an alternative date, a credit for 12 months, or a full refund, regardless of the type of fare purchased.
If you have already booked on a date when a service is no longer operating, our customer care team will be in touch very soon to see which option you would like to select.
We do appreciate your patience and positivity as we all work through this difficult year together. We look forward to welcoming you aboard so you can experience our slice of New Zealand, and we urge you to try some of the other superb tourism attractions in our big, beautiful backyard.