The recent relaxing of the COVID-19 Protection Framework enables us to host customers safely aboard our TranzAlpine train with less mandates.
Please read the information provided below before travelling to help us continue running safely.
Covid-19 Protection Framework
Our onboard crew and station staff are all protected by full vaccinations and surgical-grade masks (N95 / KN95 / P2). We are also carefully seating passengers to enable greater physical distancing.
However, vaccination passes for passengers are no longer mandatory - although they do remain highly recommended as the best way to combat COVID-19.
Face Masks must be worn by all customers 8 years old & up whilst in the station and when moving around the train, café & viewing car.
The current Protection Framework status is as follows:
Vaccination not required
- Vaccination Passes are no longer required to travel aboard the TranzAlpine. However, vaccination is strongly encouraged and remains the best protection against COVID-19.
Contact Tracing not required
- Following the recent changes to self-isolation rules, the NZ COVID Tracer App is no longer required.
Face mask requirement
- Face Masks must be worn by all customers 8 years old & up whilst in the station and when moving around the train, café & viewing car.
- Face coverings such as scarves and bandanas are not acceptable.
- You may remove your face mask while in your designated seat, however we do strongly recommend you wear your mask at all times.
- The Onboard Cafe is open, selling hot and cold food and drink as normal.
- However, the Cafe seating area is closed and you must return to your designated seat before removing yourface mask to eat and drink
Open-air viewing carriage
- The Open-air viewing carriage will be open, but:
- face masks must be worn at all times
- appropriate physical distancing should be maintained (1m or more)
Station Visitors / Pick-up & Drop-off
- Only pre-booked customers are allowed in our stations
- Please book online
- Please arrange for anyone greeting you at a station to remain outside
You must not travel if:
- It is expected that customers will follow the directions of our station staff and onboard teams. Our staff come to work to care for others, and it is important for all members of the public and our staff to be treated with courtesy and respect.
- We have a zero-tolerance policy for aggressive behaviour or harassment. Poor behaviour will result in denial of boarding or offloading at the next station.
Cancellations and Refunds
All fares are fully flexible and refundable. If you are unable or would rather not travel, then please contact our Customer Contact Centre to organise rescheduling or refunding your TranzAlpine experience.
Sign up to our Newsletter
Sign up to receive the latest service information and special offers straight to your inbox.
For more information, please contact us via our Contact form.