The Capital Connection is a commuter service operated by KiwiRail that runs weekdays between Palmerston North and Wellington.
Travelling during COVID-19 Alert Level 2
The Capital Connection will continue operating normally throughout Alert Level 2 with no seating restrictions.
However, you must not travel if you visited one of the Locations of Interest during the times listed on the Ministry of Health website.
Face-coverings are mandatory and physical distancing on platforms should be observed.
More than ever, it is imperative to practice safe hygiene and use the COVID Tracer App to scan posters when boarding.
Protecting Against Regional Spread of COVID-19
The Capital Connection is an inter-regional service and we have a duty to prevent the transmission of COVID-19 along its route.
For this reason, the following people are not allowed to travel:
- Anyone who is a confirmed or probable COVID-19 case
- Anyone who has been in contact with a suspected, probable or confirmed COVID-19 case
- Anyone suffering any flu-like symptoms, including (but not limited to) fever, cough, sneezing and feeling tired
- Anyone who has visited a Location of Interest in the timeframes listed on the Ministry of Health website
If you have arrived from abroad, please familiarise yourself with information from the New Zealand Government here.
Keeping clean, keeping safe
During these times of high alert, we ask that all passengers respect current hygiene advice by keeping their hands clean and by coughing and sneezing into the pit of their elbow.
However, most importantly, we ask that you stay home if you are feeling unwell. For the safety of your fellow passengers and crew, we will be looking for signs of illness and will not carry anyone who may be infected.
Staying up to date
Capital Connection timetable
|Palmerston North to Wellington||Dep/Arr||Wellington to Palmerston North||Dep/Arr|
Capital Connection Fares
The cheapest way to travel on the Capital Connection is by purchasing a monthly travel pass or ten trip pass.
For current fares please view the fare guide.
Tickets can be purchased from:
- Wellington Railway Station - Bunny Street (View Map)
- Waikanae Station - Main Road (View Map)
- Paraparaumu Station, Amohia Street (View Map)
- Palmerston North i-SITE - The Square, Palmerston North (View Map)
Alternatively you can purchase your ticket on board.
- Metlink tickets and school passes are not accepted on the Capital Connection
- Seats are not guaranteed
- Fares are subject to change without notice
Discounted concession fares are available for:
- Children aged 5–15 years inclusive
- Full-time Secondary students in uniform or with a current school ID
- Full-time studying Tertiary students with a current Tertiary ID
- SuperGold card holders
Appropriate ID must be carried if you intend to travel on concession fares.
Groups & Schools
Discounted group prices are available for groups over 10 people, with quotes available on request.
To make a booking on the Capital, simply contact the Group Travel Coordinator 10 days prior to travel. Group bookings are subject to availability.
Group Booking Contact:
- Phone: 04 462 1546 Email: email@example.com
Bicycles can be conveyed on the Capital Connection in the baggage van subject to space availability. Please make yourself known to the Train Manager as they will place your bicycle onboard.
Conventional and motorised wheelchairs can be conveyed on the Capital Connection subject to space availability. Mobility scooters are unable to be conveyed due to the weight and space constraints.
- Baggage allowance is two items per person, maximum weight 20kg per item.
- Size must be no more than 200 linear cm (height plus length plus width)
- Hand baggage may be taken on board, with larger items stored in the baggage van.