The Capital Connection is a commuter service operated by KiwiRail that runs weekdays between Palmerston North and Wellington.
Service Update June/July 2020
The Capital Connection will be provided free of charge until the end of June 2020. Seating restrictions and Physical Distancing no longer apply, but we do request all passengers "Check-in" to the NZ COVID Contact Tracing App by scanning the QR codes situated by the doors.
Normal charges will apply from Wednesday, 1st July 2020.
We recommend all regular travellers purchase 10-trip passes from the Onboard Cafe. These will be available from Monday 22nd June 2020 onwards (although they will not be required until Wednesday 1st July 2020).
Capital Connection timetable
|Palmerston North to Wellington||Dep/Arr||Wellington to Palmerston North||Dep/Arr|
Please note: The Capital Connection does not operate on Public Holidays or over the Christmas & New Year holiday period.
Capital Connection Fares
The cheapest way to travel on the Capital Connection is by purchasing a monthly travel pass or ten trip pass.
For current fares please view the fare guide.
Tickets can be purchased from:
- Wellington Railway Station - Bunny Street (View Map)
- Waikanae Station - Main Road (View Map)
- Paraparaumu Station, Amohia Street (View Map)
- Palmerston North i-SITE - The Square, Palmerston North (View Map)
Alternatively you can purchase your ticket on board.
- Metlink tickets and school passes are not accepted on the Capital Connection
- Seats are not guaranteed
- Fares are subject to change without notice
Discounted concession fares are available for:
- Children aged 5–15 years inclusive
- Full-time Secondary students in uniform or with a current school ID
- Full-time studying Tertiary students with a current Tertiary ID
- SuperGold cardholders
Photo ID is required if you intend to travel on a concession fare.
Groups & Schools
Discounted group prices are available for groups over 10 people, with quotes available on request.
To make a booking on the Capital, simply contact the Group Travel Coordinator 10 days before travel. Group bookings are subject to availability.
Group Booking Contact:
- Phone: 04 462 1546 Email: email@example.com
Bicycles can be conveyed on the Capital Connection in the baggage van subject to space availability. Please make yourself known to the Train Manager as they will place your bicycle on board.
Conventional and motorised wheelchairs can be conveyed on the Capital Connection subject to space availability. Mobility scooters are unable to be conveyed due to weight and space constraints.
- Baggage allowance is two items per person, maximum weight 20kg per item.
- Size must be no more than 200 linear cm (height plus length plus width)
- Hand baggage may be taken on board, with larger items stored in the baggage van.