The Capital Connection is a commuter service operated by KiwiRail that runs weekdays between Palmerston North and Wellington.
COVID-19 Protection Framework safe travel requirements:
The COVID-19 Protection Framework enables the Capital Connection to run safely at all times. Please follow these simple guidelines to help us all stay safe:
- Face-coverings are mandatory under Orange and Red conditions and are highly recommended under Green;
- Face-coverings may be only be removed to eat, drink, or take medication;
- Do not leave used face-coverings on the train;
- If you require a face-covering, then please ask the onboard crew;
- Leave space between you and other passengers wherever possible - however, sitting next to other passengers is permitted;
- Check the colour applicable to your travel and any requirements or restrictions before travelling by checking the Unite Against COVID-19 website;
- Be kind and patient with each other and transport staff, especially drivers and crew;
- Keep a record of your journey on the NZ COVID Tracer App;
- including scanning QR codes (where available),
- or manually recording travel information in the NZ COVID Tracer App (where QR codes are not available);
- OR keep a manual record if you do not have a smartphone;
- Practice good hygiene and follow Ministry of Health advice. This includes washing and drying your hands thoroughly with soap and water (or hand sanitiser if soap and water not available), coughing and sneezing into your elbow, not touching your face, and wearing a face-covering;
- Plan ahead, and allow extra time to ensure your journey is as comfortable as possible;
- Stay at home if you’re unwell or may have COVID-19.
- Do not travel if you:
- have been requested to self-isolate/quarantine
- have symptoms of COVID-19
- are awaiting COVID-19 test results
Keeping clean, keeping safe
During these times of high alert, we ask that all passengers respect current hygiene advice by keeping their hands clean and by coughing and sneezing into the pit of their elbow.
However, most importantly, we ask that you stay home if you are feeling unwell. For the safety of your fellow passengers and crew, we will be looking for signs of illness and will not carry anyone who may be infected.
Staying up to date
Capital Connection timetable
|Palmerston North to Wellington||Dep/Arr||Wellington to Palmerston North||Dep/Arr|
Capital Connection Fares
The cheapest way to travel on the Capital Connection is by purchasing a monthly travel pass or ten trip pass.
For current fares please view the fare guide.
Tickets can be purchased from:
- Wellington Railway Station - Bunny Street (View Map)
- Waikanae Station - Main Road (View Map)
- Paraparaumu Station, Amohia Street (View Map)
- Palmerston North i-SITE - The Square, Palmerston North (View Map)
Alternatively you can purchase your ticket on board.
- Metlink tickets and school passes are not accepted on the Capital Connection
- Seats are not guaranteed
- Fares are subject to change without notice
Discounted concession fares are available for:
- Children aged 5–15 years inclusive
- Full-time Secondary students in uniform or with a current school ID
- Full-time studying Tertiary students with a current Tertiary ID
- SuperGold card holders
Appropriate ID must be carried if you intend to travel on concession fares.
Groups & Schools
Discounted group prices are available for groups over 10 people, with quotes available on request.
To make a booking on the Capital, simply contact the Group Travel Coordinator 10 days prior to travel. Group bookings are subject to availability.
Group Booking Contact:
- Phone: 04 462 1546 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bicycles can be conveyed on the Capital Connection in the baggage van subject to space availability. Please make yourself known to the Train Manager as they will place your bicycle on board.
Conventional and motorised wheelchairs can be conveyed on the Capital Connection subject to space availability. Mobility scooters are unable to be conveyed due to the weight and space constraints.
- Baggage allowance is two items per person, maximum weight 20kg per item.
- Size must be no more than 200 linear cm (height plus length plus width)
- Hand baggage may be taken on board, with larger items stored in the baggage van.