The Capital Connection is a commuter service operated by KiwiRail that runs weekdays between Palmerston North and Wellington.
From Tuesday 22 September, face masks will no longer be mandatory. However, continued use of face masks is strongly encouraged.
Wellington returns to COVID-19 Alert Level 1
With Wellington returning to COVID-19 Alert Level 1 on Tuesday 22 September, the Capital Connection will return to normal. However, please note:
- The café will be open from the afternoon or Tuesday 22 September onwards
- Normal fares apply
- You should not travel if you: have been requested to self-isolate/quarantine, have symptoms of COVID-19, or are awaiting COVID-19 test results.
- You cannot travel, if the travel would breach an order/direction made under the COVID-19 Public Health Response Act 2020 or the Health Act 1956. This will likely be the case if: you have arrived in New Zealand from overseas in the last 14 days, or you have otherwise individually received (from a Medical Officer of Health) a direction under s 70(1)(f) of the Health Act 1956
Keeping clean, keeping safe
During these times of high alert, we ask that all passengers respect current hygiene advice by keeping their hands clean and by coughing and sneezing into the pit of their elbow.
However, most importantly, we ask that you stay home if you are feeling unwell. For the safety of your fellow passengers and crew, we will be looking for signs of illness and will not carry anyone who may be infected.
Protecting Against Regional Spread of COVID-19
The Capital Connection is an inter-regional service and we have a duty to prevent the transmission of COVID-19 along its route.
For this reason, the following people are not allowed to travel:
- Anyone arriving from overseas in the past 14 days
- Anyone who is a confirmed or probable COVID-19 case
- Anyone who has been in contact with a suspected, probable or confirmed COVID-19 case
- Anyone suffering any flu-like symptoms, including (but not limited to) fever, cough, sneezing and feeling tired
Staying up to date!
Capital Connection timetable
|Palmerston North to Wellington||Dep/Arr||Wellington to Palmerston North||Dep/Arr|
Please note: The Capital Connection does not operate on Public Holidays or over the Christmas & New Year holiday period between the dates of Thursday 24 December 2020 through to Monday 11 January 2021.
Capital Connection Fares
The cheapest way to travel on the Capital Connection is by purchasing a monthly travel pass or ten trip pass.
For current fares please view the fare guide.
Tickets can be purchased from:
- Wellington Railway Station - Bunny Street (View Map)
- Waikanae Station - Main Road (View Map)
- Paraparaumu Station, Amohia Street (View Map)
- Palmerston North i-SITE - The Square, Palmerston North (View Map)
Alternatively you can purchase your ticket on board.
- Metlink tickets and school passes are not accepted on the Capital Connection
- Seats are not guaranteed
- Fares are subject to change without notice
Discounted concession fares are available for:
- Children aged 5–15 years inclusive
- Full-time Secondary students in uniform or with a current school ID
- Full-time studying Tertiary students with a current Tertiary ID
- SuperGold card holders
Appropriate ID must be carried if you intend to travel on concession fares.
Groups & Schools
Discounted group prices are available for groups over 10 people, with quotes available on request.
To make a booking on the Capital, simply contact the Group Travel Coordinator 10 days prior to travel. Group bookings are subject to availability.
Group Booking Contact:
- Phone: 04 462 1546 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bicycles can be conveyed on the Capital Connection in the baggage van subject to space availability. Please make yourself known to the Train Manager as they will place your bicycle onboard.
Conventional and motorised wheelchairs can be conveyed on the Capital Connection subject to space availability. Mobility scooters are unable to be conveyed due to the weight and space constraints.
- Baggage allowance is two items per person, maximum weight 20kg per item.
- Size must be no more than 200 linear cm (height plus length plus width)
- Hand baggage may be taken on board, with larger items stored in the baggage van.