To maximise the panoramic view within the carriage, we opted for glass overhead baggage shelves with a skylight window above it. We ask that the shelves are only used for coats, hand-bags and small day bags. All other baggage must be checked in.
Carry-on & hand baggage
To keep our carriages spacious and clutter free, all baggage will be checked in and stored in our dedicated baggage carriage. This includes cabin sized wheeled bags, backpacks and suitcases.
When preparing for your journey, we recommend you put your travel essentials (camera, wallet, phone, coat/jumper for the viewing deck, etc) in a small day-pack or handbag.
Our Northern Explorer, Coastal Pacific and TranzAlpine train services have a dedicated luggage carriage and we are more than happy for you to bring all your suitcases, backpacks, wheelie bags, tents and other bags of personal items.
To make travelling easy, our baggage allowance is very generous. We will also help you with your baggage as you get on and off the train.
Your fare includes:
- Two items of check-in baggage per person, with a maximum combined weight of 40Kg
- Maximum volume per bag is 200 linear cm (this is calculated by adding height + length + width together)
- Maximum weight for a single bag is 32kg:
- Bags weighing over 23kg require two people to lift on to the train and we may require your assistance
- Bags over 32kg will not be accepted
- Wheeled cabin bags and backpacks are classed as check-in baggage
Checking-in your baggage
The baggage check-in procedure varies from station to station, so please read the information for your station of departure to see how check-in will work for you.
In summary, it will be one of the following three options:
- Full check-in: When you arrive at the station and check in, we will label your baggage with your destination and load it on to the train for you.
- Assisted check-in: We will help you label your baggage and then direct you to the baggage carriage to load your luggage
- Platform check-in: At unattended stations, we ask that you wait at the centre of the platform. When the train arrives, we will alight and help you label your baggage and direct you to the luggage carriage for loading