Coastal Pacific Check-in & Luggage
Start the day feeling relaxed by familiarising yourself with our Check-in procedures and luggage policies
Coastal Pacific Check-in
A quick check-in makes an easy and enjoyable start to the journey. So please read through our Check-in information.
Most importantly, pack a small bag with everything you'll need for the day. This is because all wheeled cabin bags, large bags, backpacks and suitcases will be checked into our Luggage Carriage
You'll find each of our stations presents a slightly different Check-in experience. Here is an overview of each:
All large bags will be checked in to our secure Luggage Carriage for the entirety of the journey, so please pack everything you need in a small bag to bring aboard.
Our Luggage Check-in process is as follows:
- Collect Luggage Labels for the station you intend to disembark during Check-in.
- Take your bags to the Luggage Carriage for loading
- Retain the Luggage Label stub as a receipt
- Collect your bags from the Luggage Carriage at the end of your journey
We provide a standard international Luggage Allowance for all fares. Our Luggage Carriages are limited on space, so please ensure you book all additional luggage in advance.
Carry-on bag allowance
To maximise scenic views and natural light coming through our glass shelves and skylights, we ask all passengers to keep their belongings to a minimum.
Carry-on baggage should be limited to a jacket and small bag or handbag. All wheeled cabin bags must be checked in (see below).
For tips on what to bring, please visit our Travel Tips page.
Scenic Class Luggage Allowance
All large bags, suitcases and wheeled bags, are checked into our secure luggage carriage.
Each Scenic Class passenger fare includes the following allowance:
- 1 x Large checked bag or suitcase
- maximum weight of 23kgs
- maximum volume* of 158 linear cm (62”)
- 1 x Cabin bag
- wheeled and/or hard-sided suitcases must be Checked in (cannot be taken aboard)
- maximum weight of 7kgs
- maximum volume* for the cabin bag is 118 linear cm (46.5”)
- 1 x Small bag or handbag
- for taking important personal items aboard, including any fragile or perishable items, money, jewellery and valuables
- 1 x Small infant bag
- if you have an infant with you, you may bring an additional small bag for the journey
- please note: infants do not get any luggage allowance (see below)
Excess & Overweight luggage
If your Luggage includes any overweight, oversize or sporting item, your options are below.
You can buy one additional item of Luggage per person with a maximum weight of 23kgs (50lb) and a maximum volume of 158 linear cm (63”) may be purchased for $20.
Overweight - more than 23kg
For safety reasons, we do not accept bags that weigh more than 23kg. If your checked bag is more than 23kg (50lb), here are your options:
Purchase a Re-Pack Bag
If your overweight bag is more than 23kg and your cabin sized bag is already at the 7kg weight limit, it is possible, in addition to the $20 additional Luggage allowance charge, to buy a re-pack bag for $20 to repack your Luggage to the allowable weight limit of 23kg.*
If your cabin-sized bag exceeds 7kg, you can purchase an additional Luggage allowance for $20.
Oversized - exceeds maximum linear volume
When the length, width and height of your bag add up to more than 158cm (62") or 118cm (46.5”) here are your options:
Purchase a Re-Pack Bag
If your bag is oversized it is possible to buy a re-pack bag for $20 to repack your Luggage to the allowable dimensions. This cost is additional to the $20 additional Luggage allowance charge.
Bicycles & E-Scooters
Bikes need to be added at the time of booking. Our Luggage Carriages have limited capacity and the number of bikes we can carry may vary by service. Please contact us for details.
You don't have to deflate the tyres, but bicycles can only be accepted as Checked Luggage if:
- Handlebars are removed or turned sideways
- Pedals are removed or turned in
- Panniers removed
- Helmets removed
- Accessories removed
- Free of mud / dirt
- Label your bike with your name and phone number
The cost to carry your bike is $20 and bike with trailers (max 1, subject to availability) is $50.
We are unable to carry tandem bikes on our services.
E -scooter are to be collapsed if able to be and are classified as excess Luggage at a $20 charge
Wheelchairs & Mobility Aids
You need to book the following items when you make your booking. You can call our Contact Centre to do this if you prefer.
- Walking frames
- Wheelchairs, Powerchair and Mobility Scooter
- Maximum combined weight (passenger and chair) 364kg
- Maximum length 1295mm (51”)
- Maximum width 762mm (30”)
See our Accessibility page for more information.
Travelling with Infants
Infants travelling with adults include an additional small carry-on bag (max 7kg) but no additional Checked Luggage other than two items from the below list for every infant in your group as part of your Luggage allowance.
- Pram, stroller or buggy
- Car seat
- Bassinet or port-a-cot
These additional two items must be checked into the Luggage Carriage and cannot be taken aboard.
Your car seat can be comforting and familiar to your child when travelling and it also provides extra protection.
You’re welcome to bring a car seat onboard for a child with a paid seat. Your car seat must:
- Be in safe working condition
- Be able to seat your child with their arms and thighs within its frame
- Fit within your seats cushion base
For safety, your car seat can’t block access to the aisle or be placed on the tables. These must be kept on the seat.