KiwiRail Limited, trading as The Great Journeys of New Zealand (we or us), is committed to protecting your privacy. We will not ask for information we don’t need, we will securely store your personal information and we won’t pass it to anyone else without your consent unless required or permitted by law.
Privacy statement – COVID19 Response
With escalation of the government’s COVID19 pandemic response and the revised Alert statuses throughout New Zealand as of 12pm 12 August 2020, Kiwirail may collect additional personal information about you, including your name, address and contact details, and your permissions for and reason for travel, and copies of supporting documentation. We may also seek to collect other personal information from you, such as asking questions about your health and wellbeing. This information is required to be provided if you wish to gain access to KiwiRail sites and services. If it is not provided, we may refuse you entry.
KiwiRail is bound by and will comply with the Privacy Act 1993 in the way it collects, holds, uses and discloses personal information about individuals. We will collect this information to support any contract tracing required to be undertaken by the Ministry of Health, giving of approvals for essential travel and any law enforcement activity, and to support any planning, administrative, operational or analytical activity we undertake. We do this to keep you, our KiwiRail personnel and our families safe and well and to ensure our services operate effectively and efficiently.
KiwiRail will take all reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, loss and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure and will hold your personal information as long as is required for the purposes for which it was collected or for as long as is necessary for KiwiRail to comply with its legal obligations.
Your personal information held by KiwiRail will only be accessible by KiwiRail staff on the basis of needing to know to carry out that staff member’s duties. KiwiRail will not disclose personal information about you to other people except where:
- your consent is obtained;
- the information is disclosed in a way that you cannot be identified;
- disclosure is to a Government agency with legal authority to collect it;
- disclosure is necessary to prevent an imminent threat to health or safety;
- disclosure was the purpose of collecting the information; or
- the information was collected from a public source.
You have the right to ask for a copy of any personal information we hold about you, and to ask for it to be corrected if you think it is wrong. KiwiRail will disclose personal information held about you to you if it can be readily retrieved unless there is a good reason (as defined in the Privacy Act 1993) for not doing so including that disclosure would breach someone else’s rights to privacy or would breach the law. If you’d like to ask for a copy of your information, or to have it corrected, please contact the Privacy Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org or Private Bag 92138, Auckland 1142, New Zealand
What personal information do you ask for and why?
If we ask for your personal information it is so we or our partners can provide you with goods, services or information that you have asked for, such as tickets or our email newsletter, or so we can ask for feedback on your experience with us. Your information is always kept safe.
If you are making a purchase, joining or renewing Nautical Miles membership, we need certain personal information so we can process your payment, issue your tickets, allocate seats, and check you in on our rail or ferry services and provide you with membership benefits and special offers.
If you subscribe to our newsletter your name and email address will be used to send you the Great Journeys newsletter you have requested. You can stop receiving the newsletter at any time by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of the email.
Your views are important to us. We want to know what you think about our services so we can provide the best possible experience. After you travel with us, we may contact you by email to ask you to complete a survey about Great Journeys. All surveys are anonymous and voluntary and if you do not wish to participate in a survey you can opt out by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of the email inviting you to participate.
How long do you keep my information?
KiwiRail is a state owned enterprise, and we are obliged by law to retain and archive information (which may include information about you) for the public record. We may make copies of your information for processing and backup purposes and your information will be stored securely.
How can I withdraw my consent?
You can withdraw your consent to our processing your information as described in this notice. It will depend on what purpose you have provided your information to us.
- If you want to withdraw your consent to receiving our newsletter, you can do this by using the unsubscribe link in the footer of our newsletter email.
- If you want to close your Interislander Nautical Miles account, please contact us on 0800 802 802 (International: +64 4 498 3302) or email us at email@example.com.
- If you want all of your contact details removed from our systems under the European Union General Data Protection Regulation (EU GDPR), please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How can I contact you about my personal information?
To get in touch about your personal information, please email the KiwiRail Privacy Officer at email@example.com or write to Private Bag 92138, Victoria Street West, Auckland 1142. You can request access and correction, and if you are an EU resident you can request we stop using or erase your personal data. Please note, if you have feedback or a complaint, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you wish to complain about how we use your personal information please first email or write to our Privacy Officer at the address above including as much detail as possible, but please don’t include your credit card information. We will do our best to resolve your issue, but if we can’t, you can complain to the New Zealand Privacy Commissioner. If you are in the European Union, please contact your country’s data protection authority. Data protection authorities can then contact our EU representative.
What information does your website collect?
Like most websites, our site uses “cookies” and other technology such as pixel tags to improve user experience and to get to know our visitors. Cookies are small files which are automatically placed on your device when you visit our website. These cookies do not collect personal information but may log your general location (city, town or region), information about your device and tell us about how you use our website. More information about cookies is available on cookpedia and an article by VMO about cookies.
The cookies on our website do not collect personally identifying information. Cookies are used by all websites, and fall into the following general categories:
- Analytic cookies to recognise the number of visitors coming to our website and understand how they navigate around so we can deliver the best experience to site visitors. Some of these are necessary for our site to function.
- Functional cookies recognise returning visitors so content can be personalised and preferences remembered (such as language or currency).
- Targeting or advertising cookies record visits to our site, and track the pages visited and the links you have clicked on. This information is used to tailor online advertising to your interests
Here's a detailed list of the cookies we use on our website.
Site Functional Cookies
Targeting or Advertising Cookies
How do I control what information is collected and what ads I see
- Find out how to adjust or opt out of Google delivered personalised advertising here
- Open our website in your browser’s “incognito” or “private” mode (this deletes cookies when your browsing session ends)
- Opt out of VMO cookies Use the Digital Advertising Allliances’ Consumer Choice tool to opt out of DAA advertising
- Remove cookies from your browser by clearing your cookies
- Block cookies by changing your browser settings) although this may limit the functionality of our website.
Get in touch with us
Our physical address is 8-14 Stanley Street, Parnell, Auckland New Zealand. You can also email us at email@example.com, call us on 0800 802 802 (International: +64 4 498 3302) for Interislander or 0800 872 467 (International +64 4 495 0775) for Scenic trains, tweet us at @greatjourneysnz or connect with us at on Facebook.