Community Support guidelines
KiwiRail Limited (trading as The Great Journeys of New Zealand) supports local communities. We aim to make a positive difference now and in the future. The Great Journeys of New Zealand operates four services, the Northern Explorer train, the Interislander ferry, the Coastal Pacific train and the TranzAlpine train. Our focus is to support the communities in and around where we operate.
Priority, not exclusivity, is given to applications geographically located near our Scenic Train stations and Interislander terminals.
These locations include the following:
- Auckland, Hamilton and Central Plateau
- Manawatu Region
- Greater Wellington Region
- Nelson, Tasman and Marlborough Region
- Canterbury, Otago and West Coast
We cannot consider applications which are:
- for an individual and/or any one family.
- for political, advocacy or religiously affiliated organisations.
- for organisations that are deemed (at our sole discretion) to be controversial or potentially controversial by KiwiRail and The Great Journeys of New Zealand.
- for organisations whose programmes, policies, activities, goals or causes may reflect negatively on our brands.
- for any organisation that has already received a travel voucher during our current financial year (1st July to 30th June).
- submitted by a person(s) who is not authorised by the organisation named to represent it.
- for support of an event, activity or fundraiser which involves danger or risk.
- for international organisations, projects or activities.
- for groups that do not reach the wider community.
- for the operational or salary expenses of an organisation.
- for organisations associated with tobacco, drugs, alcohol or other harmful products or substances.
- for organisations who qualify for nationally funded social programmes.
- In addition to the above, KiwiRail may exclude any application from consideration for any reason it considers relevant, in its sole discretion.